Friday, January 27, 2017

Why write the things that I write?

I've heard it a few times: what inspired this, why do you write about these things? For those of you interested in that subject, you're in the right place. My books might seem a little depressing and dramatic for some readers. For others, they'll say "This is nothing!". I like feelings. I like emotion. I like analyzing how emotions dictate decisions and manifest themselves as fears. Like my characters, I like viewing and reading things that make me feel something. I hope that translates to you all through my words.

I appreciate journeys; literally and figuratively. I like seeing how both real people and fictional characters navigate grief and tension and love--all journeys in their own right. I've read certain books that I've looked back on and thought that was exactly what I needed to read right at that moment. A few books have done that for me, namely Divergent and Me Before You. JK Rowling's words saw me through many of life's trials. It's a lofty goal, but I hope that one of my books provides something for you at a time in your life when you need it. Which brings me to my next point:

I write to get through things. When I was a kid, I was the youngest of five, my four other siblings being older brothers. I had an enchanting childhood that I'd never trade for anything, but it was also controlled chaos most days. I was dealing with the loss of my dad while at the same time learning my place in a family of seven. Writing was my sanctuary in the midst of so much noise. It was a place only I could escape to, which was a rare experience in our household. More recently, when life threw some of the people I love curve balls and placed seemingly insurmountable obstacles in their paths, I fled to writing again. (I also supported them and was there for them emotionally, don't think I abandoned my loved ones!) Thus, FG and ATPTYL were born. These stories are my way of addressing some very real emotions and coming to terms with them. Even now, as an adult, writing is still my sanctuary in the midst of the noise, and I hope you find somewhere to escape to or connect with in those pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment